Monday, June 27, 2011

B for brand and Benneton

I've always enjoyed the Benneton brand. When I was a youngster I always tried to get mom to buy me something from Benneton - I still wear stuff from it. : ) However, all of a sudden, the company`s outlets disappeared without a trace (at least here in Brazil.)


There were agitated moments in this brand`s lifetime. Their new approach to advertising back in the days got them famous. Some time after, it ostracized the brand and made its creative mentor - Toscani - leave the company.


Here are a few ads: David Kirby, AIDS patient, portrayed as Pieta; below is an albino African woman among others in her tribe.



Picture from http://shayco.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/benetton-what-a-shocker/



picture from http://www.kunsthandlung-schoenen.de


Before those ads, there was the brand itself. The string of controversial ads are, in my opinion, a way of  uniquely express themselves in the market. It`s weird, but nobody has to think the same.


It seems Benneton is back in the game. Their new addition to the team, You Nguyen, who is the new creative ahead of store fitouts and design, says Benneton must stay true to its identity. It's a valid concept, as image is everything you have in the end. It's the first association people do in their minds. 


Once a mighty company - selling more than any retail brand in the 80s - Benetton may be remembered by consumers as a controversial shop, but a single one though.


I'll stick to it, Benetton is still a big brand for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment