Monday, October 11, 2010

How did you go on the interview?


I have been through many interviews. Of all kind. Retail, hospitality, marketing (the most), and few others I can't remember. It's the real thing for some people, for others not.

For me it's one of those moments that your life passes by in front of you. If you fail, you are out. Time for you to leave the stage. Give room for someone else.

Ok, i went too far, but sometimes...

Just to remind you, I have prepared and rehearsed many times, and was happily faced with positive 'uh-uh', 'yeah', 'very good'. On the end I haven't had the response I had hoped for.

It's disappointing, and everbody knows if you try, push it, you gain confidence, and you make it at 'extra time'.

A job is mostly what you put into it - once you are there, you will learn it the company's way, reproduce it, and if it goes standard, yes, you are cool. So why the drama?

You will do what the company demands. Jobs are mostly reproduction of what has been done. I agree that in the marketing position you are expected to win markets, achieve KPIs. Not all companies go the extra mile for champions - there are not so many 'olympic' workers outthere.

Scientific jobs are the real Herculean jobs! They are so many. These are the jobs to change the world, and qualification is all they are about.

I believe the world has a large amount of people that are keen, and enthusiastic to go the extra mile once they are given the opportunity (I'm counting the obvious academic background or work experience.)

I get embarassed by questions that I listened to so many times before in interviews, "have you disagreed with your boss?", "why you want this job?" among other examples.

Your job won't revolutionise my life, and I'm probably not the hero of the new millenium. I think here in Australia, 50% or more of the population do what they don't like to do, or didn't study to do so, according to a survey on
Triple J, aussie radio.

The employer and I, we help each other. We might achieve our individual goals, if this is together, then it's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment